Turkish Delight Christmas Recipe and traditional Christmas Cake
Author: Madhavi Porori
Turkish Delight Christmas Recipe
- 2 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups lightly salted peanuts
- Grease and line a 9 x 13-inch pan with foil.
- In a large, heavy saucepan over moderate heat, cook the sugar, butter, and water, stirring occasionally, until the mixture becomes a golden-brown syrup, about 25 minutes. Remove to a cool surface.
- Stir in the peanuts and pour mixture into the pan, spreading the nuts evenly.
- Let peanut brittle set and cool before breaking into bite-size pieces. It can be stored in an airtight container in a cool, dry place for up to 1 month.
Traditional Christmas Cake
- 2 sticks plus 2 tablespoons (9 ounces total) butter at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups dark brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups each currants, golden raisins, dark raisins
- 1 1/3 cups soft dried figs, chopped
- 1 1/4 cups dates, pitted and chopped
- 1 cup chopped stoned dried prunes
- 1 3/4 cups chopped dried apricots
- 3/4 cup blanched almonds, chopped
- 2/3 cup plus 4 tablespoons brandy
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso, mixed with 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat the oven to 300°F. Grease a round 9- or 10-inch cake pan, and line bottom and sides with several layers of waxed paper.
- In a large bowl, with an electric mixer on high, beat the butter and sugar until thick and creamy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Sift together the flour, salt, and spices, then fold into the creamed mixture. Add the fruit, almonds, 2/3 cup brandy, and espresso, folding in well.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan, leveling the surface. Place the pan in the center of the oven and bake for 30 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 275°F and bake for 3 1/2 hours longer or until a tester inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove the pan from the oven, cover with first a kitchen towel and then a thick bath towel so that the cake will cool slowly.
- When the cake is cool, prick the top with a skewer and drizzle with the extra brandy. Wrap in waxed paper and store in an airtight container. Keep in a cool place for up to 3 months.
Article Source: http://www.articlesbase.com/cooking-tips-articles/turkish-delight-christmas-recipe-and-traditional-christmas-cake-1598531.html
About the Author
Cooking is an art. I love to cook. http://www.planyourdinner.com