1/2 lb of sweet almonds
1 1/2 onion
1/2 small head of celery
1 quart of milk
4 hard-boiled yolks of egg
white roux (recipe follows)
fried or toasted bread for serving
1/2 pint of cream
a little white pepper
1. Take half a pound of sweet almonds and blanch them by throwing them into boiling water till the outside skin can be rubbed off easily with the finger. Then immediately throw the white almonds into cold water, otherwise they will quickly lose their white color like potatoes that have been peeled.
2. Next, slice up an onion and half a small head of celery, and let these simmer gently in a quart of milk.
3. In the meantime pound the almonds with four hard-boiled yolks of egg, strain off the milk and add the pounded almonds and egg to the milk gradually, and let it boil over the fire.
4. Add sufficient white roux till the soup becomes of the consistency of cream. Serve some fried or toasted bread with the soup. It is a great improvement to add half a pint of cream. The soup can be flavored with a little white pepper.
White roux is used as a binder for white sauces.
INGREDIENTS to thicken 1 liter liquid:
- 60 g (1/4 cup) butter, clarified
- 60 g (2 oz. or about 1/2 cup) flour
1. Melt the butter, in a heavy saucepan, until it begins to foam.
2. Remove saucepan from heat, add the flour all at once. Return to the heat and keep stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until the mixture comes away from the bottom of the pan.
3. Cook about 5 minutes without letting it color, to remove the taste of the uncooked flour. Set aside to cool until you need it. Do not use high heat to get the roux done faster because an overheated roux loses half of its ability to thicken.
Almond Soup is a great soup for summer and can be prepared in less than half an hour. When you eat creamy almond soup its taste lingers in the mouth long after. Although it is creamy and rich, yet it is light on the stomach and palate. This soup makes a perfect start of any summer meal. Milk, fresh cream and flour enhance the creamines. Almond soup can be very mildly spiced, so you can serve it if you have spicier dishes that follow in the menu. You can also add a dash of saffron. Serve hot with slivered and a spot of fresh cream.
Sandra D. is a blogger and owner of http://www.womensboatshoesbuy.com
|Easy Breezy Recipes