Did you know that you can bake delicious desserts using your crock pot? These days, you can cook or bake, just about anything in your slow cooker.
Here are a few tips to get you started.
1. As a rule of thumb, it's not a good idea to remove the lid during cooking. Removing the lid releases the heat and steam, which can add-on additional cooking time.
2. When making 'sticky' types of desserts, spray the inside of your pot with non-stick cooking spray. A light coating will do.
3. When cooking breads and cakes in your slow cooker, you will want to use the 'high' setting. The 'low' setting is too low to give your cakes and breads the texture that you are trying to achieve.
4. High-Altitude Cooking. Allow more time than given in the recipe at high altitudes, over 4,000 feet.
5. If you don't own a kitchen timer, invest in one. When I use my slow cooker to make desserts, I use a timer to remind me when they are done. I don't want to over-bake my desserts.
Here are 3 easy dessert recipes for you to try out in your Crock Pot.
1 (21 ounce) can cherry pie filling
1 c. all-purpose flour
1/4 c. white sugar
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 c. butter, melted
1/2 c. milk
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
non-stick cooking spray
Coat the inside of your slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray. Pour in the cherry pie filling. In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Make a well in the center, and pour in the melted butter, milk, and vanilla. Mix until well blended. Spread evenly over the cherry pie filling. Cover, and cook on High for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until a toothpick inserted into the topping comes out clean.
Lemon Pudding Cake
3 eggs, separated
1 tsp. grated lemon peel
1/4 c. lemon juice
3 tbsp. butter
1 1/2 c. milk
3/4 c. sugar
1/4 c. flour
1/8 tsp. salt
Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form, set aside. Beat egg yolks, blend in the lemon peel, juice, butter and milk. Combine flour, sugar and salt, add to the egg-milk mixture, beating until smooth. Fold into beaten egg whites. Spoon into slow cooker pot, cover and cook on high for 2-3 hours.
6 cooking apples, peeled and sliced
1 c. fresh cranberries
1 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. grated orange peel
1/2 c. water
1/4 c. port wine
1 container sour cream
Arrange apple slices and cranberries in crock pot. Sprinkle sugar over fruit. Add orange peel, water and port wine. Stir to mix ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours or until apples are tender. Serve warm with the juices, topped with a dab of sour cream.
Shelly Hill has been working from home since 1989 in Direct Sales. You can visit Shelly online at: http://www.classybusinesswomen.com or at http://wahmshelly.blogspot.com
|Easy Breezy Recipes