What you need:
- 1 lb of bratwurst
- 2 (12 oz) cans of beer
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (16 oz) jar sauerkraut with caraway seeds
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 T butter
What you do:
- Layer bratwurst on bottom of 9" x 13" x 2" baking pan. Pour
beer over bratwurst and cover with foil. Let sit in fridge for at
least 1 hour.
- Drain sauerkraut. In medium skillet, add butter, onion and green
pepper. Cook on med heat until lightly browned. Add
sauerkraut, mix and continue heating for 5 minutes, stirring
frequently. Wrap sauerkraut mixture in aluminum foil and set
- Add brats and beer to large skillet or saucepan; cover and
simmer for 15 minutes.
- On gas grill, set front and back burners to med heat and leave
the middle off. Set foil covered kraut off to the side, away from
direct heat. Place brats in middle of grill and cover. Cook brats
for 10 -12 minutes, making sure browned on each side and
watching for flare-ups.
- On charcoal grill, cook over mostly ashen coals for 10 -15
minutes, turning often and preventing flare-ups. Cook kraut
away from flame.
- Serve brats on buns with kraut mixture on top and spicy brown
mustard, or your choice of condiments.