What you need:
- 1 large eggplant, peeled and cut into 1" chunks
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 large red pepper, chopped
- 3 medium zucchini, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 6 oz can tomato paste
- 1/4 c fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4 c olive oil
- 2 T dried basil
- 1 t dried thyme
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/4 t black pepper
What you do:
- Sprinkle the eggplant with salt. Place on paper towels or in a
colander to drain for 1/2 hour. Press out excess moisture.
Rinse the eggplant with water and pat dry with paper towels.
- Place eggplant in 4-6 qt crock pot. Add the onions, tomatoes,
bell peppers, zucchini, olive oil, dried basil, thyme, garlic, black
pepper and salt and mix thoroughly. Cook, covered, for 3 hours
on high, or until the vegetables are tender but not mushy. Stir in
the tomato paste and fresh basil; serve.